Hamilton owns up to 'mistake' in Monaco accident

Lewis Hamilton admitted that the car accident he was involved in was a mistake and what is important is to learn from it.
Lewis Hamilton admitted that the car accident he was involved in was a mistake and what is important is to learn from it.

SAO PAULO • Triple Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton has revealed that a car accident in Monaco contributed to his delayed arrival in Brazil.

He postponed his flight to Sao Paulo for the Brazilian Grand Prix by a day this week, with his Mercedes team saying on Wednesday that he was unwell.

However, the 30-year-old Briton had also been involved in an accident on Monday.

Hamilton posted a picture of himself seated inside a plane on his Instagram account late on Wednesday and said that no one was hurt in the accident.

"Dear TeamLH, just wanted to let you know why things have been quiet on social media the past few days," wrote Hamilton, who had missed a news conference on Wednesday.

"I've not been well with a fever but I also had a road accident in Monaco on Monday night.

"While ultimately, it is nobody's business, there are people knowing my position that will try to take advantage of the situation and make a quick buck.

"Nobody was hurt, which is the most important thing. But the car was damaged and I made very light contact with a stationary vehicle."

Hamilton said he had decided to leave a day later than scheduled after consulting his team and doctor.

"But I am feeling better and am currently boarding the plane to Brazil," he added.

"However, I am informing you because we all must take responsibility for our actions.

"Mistakes happen but what's important is that we learn. Can't wait for the weekend in Brazil."

Hamilton clinched his third world title in Texas last month with three races to spare.

But he has a patchy record away from the race track.

He was banned from driving in France in 2007 and had his car impounded after being caught driving at 64kmh above the speed limit.

He was also booked for reckless driving during the 2010 Australian Grand Prix after police saw him spinning the wheels of his car near Melbourne's Albert Park street circuit.

REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on November 13, 2015, with the headline 'Hamilton owns up to 'mistake' in Monaco accident'. Print Edition | Subscribe