Sports World: Rosales accepts role with PBA outfit

Rosales accepts role with PBA outfit

Kris Rosales, one of the three foreign players who helped the Singapore Slingers to a second-place finish in the last Asean Basketball League (ABL) season, has signed for Philippine Basketball Association side Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters.

The 25-year-old point guard overcame a knee injury early in the ABL season to become a vital cog in the Slingers' charge to the ABL Finals, where they lost to the Westports Malaysia Dragons.


Two more years for Philippines' Dooley

MANILA • American Thomas Dooley will lead the Philippines' football team for another two years after maintaining their top ranking in South-east Asia.

The deal means the 54-year-old, a former captain of the United States national team, will lead the Philippines as they target success in the AFF Suzuki Cup, which they are co-hosting with Myanmar in November and December.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE


Berlusconi open to selling stake in Milan

ROME • Former Italy prime minister Silvio Berlusconi is to open talks with a consortium of Asian companies, including China's Wanda Group, to sell about 70 per cent of AC Milan, Italy's Il Messaggero newspaper reported yesterday, citing banking sources.

Last week, two sources said a Chinese consortium had offered to buy the club, one of Berlusconi's most cherished assets, and valued it at around €700 million (S$1.09 billion) including debt.

REUTERS


Former minister gets Winter Olympics role

SEOUL • Former South Korea trade minister Lee Hee Beom has been nominated as the new president of the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics organising committee, after Hanjin Group chairman Cho Yang Ho stepped down from the post on Tuesday to concentrate on his troubled shipping business.

Lee, 67, will be officially elected at the body's general congress on May 12 and will then need the final approval of the country's Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism.

REUTERS


Courtois says he is not moving to PSG

LONDON • Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has dismissed speculation that he could move to French Ligue 1 champions Paris-St Germain at the end of the season and insisted he is happy at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea have endured a turbulent season and will miss out on next season's Champions League.

REUTERS


F1 boss insists on cockpit screens

LONDON • The Formula One race director, Charlie Whiting, has insisted that the sport must adopt cockpit safety measures despite opposition from drivers.

Addressing Lewis Hamilton's comments that danger is part of the attraction of Formula One, Whiting said that he believes it would be remiss of the International Automobile Federation not to act when it has identified a fundamental threat to drivers' safety.

THE GUARDIAN

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on May 05, 2016, with the headline 'Sports World'. Print Edition | Subscribe