Red Devils: No Rooney bid from Chinese

LONDON • Manchester United have denied that they have received a bid from a Chinese Super League (CSL) club - or any other club - for captain Wayne Rooney.

With the transfer window in China open until Feb 26, speculation has been rife that Shanghai Shenhua are set to spend £100 million (S$200 million) to make the England forward a marquee signing.

According to The Mirror, Shanghai tabled a £27 million offer for the 30-year-old, who is contracted to the Old Trafford club till 2019.

The Chinese are also reportedly willing to give Rooney a three-year deal worth £500,000 a week.

Manchester Evening News reporter Samuel Luckhurst told the BBC on Thursday that United "would like to accept" the bid, which would see them recoup the £25.6 million fee they paid Everton for Rooney in 2004.

United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, who is looking for marquee signings of his own, suggested last week that the club could do business with CSL outfits.

"If nothing else, it (the Chinese Super League) is another useful market if we're looking to sell any players," he said.

Total spending this transfer window by the Chinese clubs crossed the £200 million mark this week when Paris Saint-Germain forward Ezequiel Lavezzi signed for Hebei China Fortune. While a transfer fee for the Argentina international was not disclosed, website transfermarkt, which tracks commercial developments in the sport, gave the fee as €5.5 million (S$8.5 million).

Other big-name signings included Brazilian midfielders Alex Teixeira and Ramires and Atletico Madrid's Colombia striker Jackson Martinez. But according to Sky Sports, United revealed yesterday that Rooney, ruled out for up to two months with a knee injury, is not joining them in China.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on February 20, 2016, with the headline 'Red Devils: No Rooney bid from Chinese'. Print Edition | Subscribe