Fancy playing on the Anfield pitch and scoring a goal at the Kop end? You can – and you don’t have to be a Liverpool player or a Reds fan to do so.
For the second year running, The Straits Times is partnering Standard Chartered Bank, the main sponsor of Liverpool Football Club, to choose 40 futsal teams comprising members of the public to compete in the local edition of the Standard Chartered Trophy on March 7 this year.
The five-a-side futsal tournament will award the winning team with a trip to Liverpool in May, when they will compete as Singapore's representatives against nine other teams from Asia and Africa.
Here's a video on the highlights of last year's Standard Chartered Trophy at Anfield, Liverpool.
The team will also get a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be mentored by former Liverpool club legends, and be trained by Liverpool coaches at the Club’s Academy.
Here's what you need to do to enter the competition:
1. Form a team of seven members, all of whom must be at least 18 years old as of date of entry.
2. Members must all currently be amateur players. Any former professional or semi-professional players must not have played professionally in the last five years.
3. Tell us why your team deserves to be selected. It could be in the form of words (fewer than 500 words), pictures (no more than 5 pix), or a video (not longer than three minutes).
4. Entries will be judged based on originality, creativity and relevance by a panel of three judges from the Straits Times and Standard Chartered Bank. Judges decisions are final and no correspondence will be entertained.
5. Teams must be committed to travel between May 6 to 9 should they win. All members must hold valid international passports and reside in Singapore.
All entries must be submitted to STsportscontest@sph.com.sg by Feb 14, and the selected team captains will be notified via e-mail by Feb 24.
The tournament is open to fans of all football clubs.
General terms and conditions
1. Prizes are non-transferable.
2. SPH shall not be liable to any participants and winners for any matters arising from or related to the prizes. Nor shall SPH be held liable for any loss, damage or expense suffered as a result of the Standard Chartered Trophy (or any part thereof) being cancelled, postponed or changed.
By participating in the contest, each participant agrees that:
1. Any and all personal data submitted may be collected, used and/or disclosed to SPH and its related corporations (collectively “SPH Group”) for various purposes, including to communicate with the participant for purposes related to the contest, to provide goods and services to the participant upon request, and such other purposes SPH Group may reasonably deem appropriate, or in relation to which the participant has otherwise provided SPH Group with consent;
2. SPH Group may collect, use, disclose and share amongst themselves and their respective service providers, the participant’s personal data, including the photographs or audio-video or other recordings of these participants (“Material”) for publicity and/or use in advertisements across all media, including, without limitation, in SPH Group’s publications, presentations, promotional materials on their websites, in its original or edited format, and whether to promote the contest or otherwise without further notification, remuneration or compensation.