Negeri Sembilan cull squad of 'fakers'

KUALA LUMPUR • The president of a Malaysian second-tier football side has taken the drastic action of dismissing the bulk of their squad after accusing some players of feigning injury in order to enjoy their wages without playing.

Negeri Sembilan FA president Mohamad Hasan said only six of the squad had been retained following a sixth-placed finish in the 12-team Malaysian Premier League. Head coach K. Devan was also dismissed after his team failed to qualify for the Malaysia Cup, losing 0-3 to Armed Forces in the qualification play-offs.

After a meeting to discuss ways to improve standards, club chief Mohamad said new recruits would have to accept a lower base salary but would earn larger bonuses for winning.

"For example, each time the team win, they will be rewarded RM50,000 (S$16,500) to be distributed among the players. So to make more (money), they must win," he was quoted as saying by Bernama News. "I believe this is a better system. If the (base) salaries are very high, the players no longer have the hunger to play.

"In fact, sometimes they purposely get injured because they want to enjoy the salary but are not willing to produce (on the field).

"With this new system, those who play full time will reap the full bonuses, those not will receive proportionate bonuses while those benched will get nothing."

REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on August 28, 2015, with the headline 'Negeri Sembilan cull squad of 'fakers''. Print Edition | Subscribe