Jose caused ruckus in referees' changing room: FA

LONDON • Jose Mourinho served his one-match stadium ban at Stoke yesterday after a foul-mouthed rant at referee Jonathan Moss, the Football Association revealed on Friday.

Releasing the written reasons for the case, it said the Chelsea boss refused to leave the officials' dressing room at West Ham's Upton Park while aiming a barrage of abuse at Moss.

The latter's testimony of the half-time incident from struggling Chelsea's defeat on Oct 24 claims Mourinho was furious after Nemanja Matic had been sent-off for two bookable offences. The visitors were also denied two goals, one due to goal-line technology and the other because of offside.

"Mr Mourinho asked me about a tackle, an offside and a goal- line clearance. I gave him brief answers to his questions," Moss said in the written reasons.

"After this, I asked him to leave the dressing-room area. He refused. I asked him again.

"After he refused again, I asked (West Ham security manager) Mr (Simon) Sutton to escort him from the room. At this point, Mr Mourinho became very aggressive and animated.

"He shouted that you ******* referees are weak... (Arsenal manager Arsene) Wenger is right about you... you are ******* weak.

"I advised Mr Mourinho not to take his position in the technical area for the second half due to his actions."

Reports from the assistant referees and fourth official corroborated Moss' comments, the written reasons said. Mourinho was informed of the charge on Oct 26 and admitted it three days later before the sanction was announced on Monday.

He chose not to appeal, announcing his decision on Friday.

"His behaviour was in the opinion of the commission unacceptable and he showed a total lack of respect for the match officials and the sanctuary of their changing room," added the FA. "That is a most serious matter and has to be dealt with accordingly."

The three-man commission argued a financial penalty "has little or no impact upon his behaviour" after assessing his previous disciplinary matters.

He was, though, fined £40,000 (S$86,000).

The commission also determined a touchline ban would be insufficient, given he would still have access to the tunnel area.

Mourinho on Friday accepted the punishment, having failed in an appeal against a suspended one-match stadium ban and £50,000 fine for a separate offence for comments made about officials following the loss to Southampton.

The Portuguese said the ban would "change everything" in terms of how he approaches games in future.

"It will make me change," he said. "Change everything.

"The dimension of my punishment, and the stadium ban that stays suspended, obviously affects everything.

"My answers to questions, obviously, are going to be different.

"I had a game a few days ago where I stood for 90 minutes in my own technical area.

"The other manager (Liverpool's Juergen Klopp) was jumping like Michael Jordan and nothing happened.

"So, for me, I know everything is different. It's all changed a lot.

"This is what I have.

"I have to adapt to it."

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, THE GUARDIAN

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Sunday Times on November 08, 2015, with the headline 'Jose caused ruckus in referees' changing room: FA'. Print Edition | Subscribe