Football: Work to resume at Sao Paulo's troubled World Cup ground

SAO PAULO (AFP) - Work at Sao Paulo's troubled World Cup stadium was given the go-ahead to resume on Friday after a stoppage caused by the death of a construction worker.

Building work on the 10,000-capacity north stand at the Corinthians Arena was halted on March 31, two days after a worker fell to his death.

But the Brazilian labour minister said that construction on the ground which will host the World Cup opener between Brazil and Croatia on June 12 can resume, a spokesman said.

The minister, who had already authorised a resumption of work on the ground's south stand, allowed work on the north stand to restart after demanding security measures such as safety netting be installed.

The arena will stage its first test event on May 17 when Corinthians welcome Figueirense in a Brazilian league game.

In the March 29 accident, a workman fell eight meters as he helped install temporary seating.

Four months ago a crane fell on the stands, crushing two site workers to death.

In total, seven stadium workers have been killed in Brazil - three more at Manaus and one in the capital Brasilia.

The Sao Paulo accidents have left the venue racing to be ready in time.

It is might be delivered, unfinished, at the middle of this month, less than two months before the tournament curtain-raiser.