Football: Pele released from hospital in Brazil after prostate surgery

Brazilian football legend Pele (left) waves with his wife Marcia Cibele Aoki at the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo in this May 9, 2015, handout photograph from his family, courtesy of the hospital. Brazilian football legend Pele was relea
Brazilian football legend Pele (left) waves with his wife Marcia Cibele Aoki at the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo in this May 9, 2015, handout photograph from his family, courtesy of the hospital. Brazilian football legend Pele was released from hospital on Saturday following prostate surgery, doctors said, after his latest health scare. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

SAO PAULO (AFP) - Brazilian football legend Pele was released from hospital on Saturday following prostate surgery, doctors said, after his latest health scare.

The Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo released a picture of a smiling Pele wearing sportswear and waving at the camera with his partner, Marcia Cibele Aoki.

The 74-year-old, who was treated at the same facility last year for a severe urinary tract infection, was discharged at 6.30 pm (local time), it said.

The only player to win three World Cup titles underwent a surgical procedure four days ago known as a transurethral resection of the prostate, which is performed for enlargement of the prostate that causes difficulty urinating.

"Examination results revealed that this is a benign hyperplasia, and therefore there was no incidence of tumours," a medical report indicated on Friday.

Media reports said the surgery for an enlarged prostate - a common condition in ageing men - was aimed at preventing a repeat of the urinary infection that sent Pele to hospital last year.

The global sports icon has suffered a number of health crises in recent months.