Football: Fenerbahce to return to action after gun attack on team bus

ISTANBUL (AFP) - Turkish top-flight football team Fenerbahce will return to the pitch on Thursday after an almost two week absence following the gun attack on their team bus earlier this month.

Fenerbahce had refused to play after the attack on April 4 in the Black Sea region of Turkey and the Turkish Super Lig was also suspended by one week.

The club had said it would not play until the crime was solved.

But, although investigators are still working on the case, the club's directors said Fenerbahce had agreed to play after receiving security assurances from the government.

"Fenerbahce's directors have decided unanimously that the club should compete after receiving assurances from the highest competent authorities," the club said in a statement.

Fenerbahce are due on Thursday to host Mersin at home in the second leg of a Turkish Cup tie that the Istanbul giants already lead 2-1.