Football: Drogba dismisses retirement talk

LONDON (AFP) - Chelsea veteran Didier Drogba insisted on Monday he intended to play for at least one more season.

The 37-year-old Ivory Coast forward is out of contract with the Premier League leaders at the end of the current campaign, having returned to Stamford Bridge after two seasons abroad.

Drogba, asked if he had decided on his future, said: "Yes I have and it's not going to be my last season."

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho said last week he had still to speak to Drogba regarding his future. "We have a lot of talks to do," the Portuguese said. "I don't know what he wants.

"There are people who, during their careers, earn the right and the power to make decisions and not wait for others to make decisions for them.

"What he did at this club for so many years puts him in a great position."

Mourinho, then in his first spell as Chelsea manager, signed Drogba from Marseille in 2004.

The powerful forward scored 157 goals in his initial eight-year stint with Chelsea, including the winning penalty in the 2012 Champions League final shoot-out victory.

However, Drogba has been largely a squad player this season and made just his fourth league start of the season in Sunday's 1-0 west London derby away to Queens Park Rangers after injuries to Diego Costa and Loic Remy.

Drogba could start against Manchester United this Saturday as Chelsea look to move one step closer to clinching the English top-flight title.

"It's difficult when you don't play and then have to go into these kind of games," he said. "But I always try to give my best.

"I tried to give the best of my physical capacity against QPR, so if the manager needs me against United and Arsenal, I'm ready."