(AFP) - Jose Mourinho's future as Chelsea manager is in suspense over his failure to lift the team out of their alarming slump, according to British press reports on Wednesday.
The Daily Mail said that the Chelsea board was due to meet to discuss Mourinho's position on Wednesday, while the Daily Telegraph claimed the club's hierarchy was drawing up a list of potential replacements.
Premier League champions last season, Chelsea are currently just a point above the relegation zone after losing nine of their 16 matches to date. They have, however, reached the Champions League last 16.
Reports suggest it would cost Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich between £10 million (S$21.2 million) and £40 million to sack Mourinho for a second time, having previously dismissed the Portuguese in 2007.
Mourinho signed a new four-year contract in August. Chelsea gave him a public vote of confidence in October, but there has been no official communication from the club on his position since then.
Mourinho, whose side host Sunderland in the Premier League on Saturday, was expected to take training as usual at the club's training ground.
Several newspapers, including The Sun, reported that Chelsea's players were angered by Mourinho's claim that they had "betrayed" his work following Monday's 2-1 defeat at league leaders Leicester City.
But midfielder Cesc Fabregas says that it is the players' responsibility to haul the club out of their current predicament.
"We all have to take responsibility," Fabregas said in a Facebook interview.
"If you are a big player and you are paid like a big player, you must play like a big player and behave like a big player.
"We can bounce back, 100 per cent. There is enough time to achieve it, but we must start now. It is up to us."