Fabregas taking legal action against Nevin

LONDON • Cesc Fabregas is reportedly taking legal action against pundit Pat Nevin for claiming that the Chelsea midfielder was the player who said he would "rather lose than win" for Jose Mourinho.

According to the Daily Mail, Fabregas has authorised lawyers to send legal letters alleging defamation to former Blues winger Nevin, who made his claim on BBC Radio Four's Today programme last week.

It comes after Today sports presenter Garry Richardson said on his radio show in November, when Chelsea already suffered six league defeats, that a senior Chelsea player was not fighting for Mourinho's cause.

"I was told that Jose Mourinho's relationship with many of his players is at rock bottom," he said.

"I was told they're fed up with the way he's been dealing with some of them and his outbursts. I was told that his relationship, particularly with Eden Hazard, was under immense strain.

"Here's a staggering quote. One player said recently, 'I'd rather lose than win for him'."

When Richardson rehashed the quote last week, Nevin said: "Yeah, that was Cesc Fabregas, wasn't it?"

On Sunday, however, the Scot tweeted that Fabregas was not the player who said he would not play for Mourinho, and that what he said on Radio Four was misconstrued.

Fabregas has assisted just two goals and has yet to find the net himself after 17 league games.

His poor form, coupled with speculation that he was behind the dressing room revolt that led to Mourinho's exit, has seen the Spaniard booed by Chelsea fans.

Along with striker Diego Costa, and Hazard, the trio were deemed "rats" by a section of the Blues faithful that watched Chelsea defeat Sunderland on Saturday.

But various British media reported that Fabregas was not against Mourinho, who saw the 28-year- old as one of his biggest allies.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on December 23, 2015, with the headline 'Fabregas taking legal action against Nevin'. Print Edition | Subscribe