Chelsea slammed for way they contacted Conte

LONDON • Chelsea were accused of lacking "education and manners" by Renzo Ulivieri, chairman of the Italian Football Coaches Association, for their approach to Italy coach Antonio Conte.

The 46-year-old is expected to become Chelsea manager after the European Championship finals this summer and Ulivieri has said that Chelsea's negotiations with him had been disrespectful.

"It was known that Conte would leave the national team," he said.

"The thing I regret, though, is that a club contacts the coach of a national federation without any warning. It shows we are in a world which is failing to demonstrate even a minimum amount of education and manners."

The announcement by the Italian football federation on Tuesday came after Conte informed them that he did not want to extend his contract after two years in the job.

It is understood that the former Juventus coach has agreed to a three-year contract at Stamford Bridge. He moved quickly to reassure Italy fans that he is fully focused on preparations for Euro 2016 despite his impending departure.

SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE

It shows we are in a world which is failing to demonstrate even a minimum amount of education and manners.

RENZO ULIVIERI, chairman of the Italian Football Coaches Association, on Chelsea's approach to Italy coach Antonio Conte.

Chelsea have chosen Conte from a shortlist that also featured Massimiliano Allegri, the Juventus coach, and Jorge Sampaoli, the former Chile coach, after Diego Simeone indicated that he was unwilling to leave Atletico Madrid.

Sampaoli claimed yesterday that his limited English cost him the Chelsea job after a meeting with Roman Abramovich. "I had a meeting with Chelsea's owner and he told me that I was the first option," he told Radio Vorterix in Argentina.

"But then Conte appeared and... it was him or me. I needed some time in order to improve my English, but this kind of club doesn't give you that time."

THE TIMES, LONDON

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on March 17, 2016, with the headline 'Chelsea slammed for way they contacted Conte'. Print Edition | Subscribe