LONDON • Former Real Madrid and Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti has indicated that he would be interested in taking over at Manchester United if the job becomes available.
United are planning to sit down with Louis van Gaal in the new year to determine whether the manager wishes to depart in the summer of 2017 or sign a fresh contract.
The club will then draw up differing strategies dependent on how the Dutchman views his future.
Van Gaal has previously suggested he will retire when his current deal ends, although he subsequently hinted that he could stay on.
The Glazers are content with the 64-year-old and would even resist approaching Pep Guardiola should the much-coveted Spaniard depart Bayern Munich in the summer.
But should they need a new boss in 2017, Ancelotti has no qualms biding his time for such a top post.
"Of course, for every manager, they would all think of managing Manchester United," the Italian told The Independent.
"I will continue to wait. If I don't find a club with a good project, I can wait. What will I do? Watching games, fishing, all these things. Let us see next summer. I will not take a job in mid-season but I would like to work again next summer."
With that, the 56-year-old effectively ruled himself out of an interim position this season.
There had been speculation that Ancelotti could be a short-term solution should Chelsea sack manager Jose Mourinho.
Ancelotti, who has also managed AC Milan, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain, led Chelsea to the Premier League title in 2010. And he admitted he would like to return to England's top-flight.
"I would like to come back in a club with a good project but, of course, one that is competitive," he said. "The Premier League is the best in the sense of atmosphere, ambience. It is also competitive so I would like to come back, especially for the atmosphere."
Meanwhile, United midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger was charged with violent conduct on Monday for an alleged elbow on Winston Reid in Saturday's 0-0 draw against West Ham.
Schweinsteiger stuck out his left arm and caught Reid in the throat as both jostled for position in the build-up to a first-half free kick at Old Trafford.
Referee Mark Clattenburg spoke to both players to calm them down but did not see the apparent elbow.
It was not mentioned in his post-match report. That left the Football Association free to punish the German retrospectively.
The 31-year-old is facing a three-match ban if found guilty and would miss matches against Bournemouth, Norwich and Stoke.
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, THE GUARDIAN