Football: Gareth Bale and Tottenham in talks over new contract, says manager Villas-Boas

HONG KONG (AFP) - Spurs are in talks with Gareth Bale over a new contract, manager Andre Villas-Boas said Friday, in a bid to keep him away from the clutches of Real Madrid.

The star winger, 24, was reported earlier this week to have come to an agreement with Real and there were claims he had told the Londoners he wanted to leave.

"There was contact last year between the club (Spurs) and his agent. There are ongoing contacts between the club and his agent," said Villas-Boas.

"The player renewed his contract last year, at the beginning of the season, and it's something that is being dealt with by the chairman and his agents.

"Talks are ongoing but it doesn't mean that there is an agreement."

Asked if he was confident Tottenham and the Welshman could agree a new improved deal to keep him at the club, Villas-Boas, speaking in Hong Kong, said: "Yes, at the moment we are confident that the player is under contract and a very good contract done by Tottenham last year.

"So it is something that we are speaking about but we haven't had any further development."

Asked if any club had made an offer for Bale - Manchester United are also reportedly interested - the Portuguese manager said: "I am not going to make any comment on that one.