Football: Chelsea confirm Rooney offer

England's manager Roy Hodgson (left) speaks to Wayne Rooney during a soccer training session at the St George's Park training complex near Burton Upon Trent on Monday, May 27, 2013. Chelsea on Wednesday, July 17, 2013, said they had made a written of
England's manager Roy Hodgson (left) speaks to Wayne Rooney during a soccer training session at the St George's Park training complex near Burton Upon Trent on Monday, May 27, 2013. Chelsea on Wednesday, July 17, 2013, said they had made a written offer for Manchester United striker Rooney for an undisclosed sum, after reports said it had been rejected. -- FILE PHOTO: REUTERS

BANGKOK (AFP) - Chelsea on Wednesday said they had made a written offer for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney for an undisclosed sum, after reports said it had been rejected.

"Chelsea Football Club can confirm that yesterday it made a written offer to Manchester United for the transfer of Wayne Rooney," said a club statement.

"Although the terms of the offer are confidential, for avoidance of doubt and contrary to what is apparently being briefed to the press in Sydney (where United are on tour), the proposed purchase price does not include the transfer or loan of any players from Chelsea to Manchester United."

The London club was moved to confirm the bid to deny that they had offered midfielder Juan Mata or defender David Luiz as part of a £10 million offer.