PARIS (AFP) - Former Fifa deputy general secretary Jerome Champagne will hold a press conference in London on Monday, in which he is expected to announce his bid to succeed Sepp Blatter as president of world football's governing body.
"I will not make any comment until Monday," Champagne, 55, said when asked by AFP on Friday if he would be announcing his candidacy to succeed Blatter in 2015.
The Frenchman did not specify the reasons for the press conference in an e-mail sent to media inviting them to attend and, if he does launch a formal bid for the presidency, he will be the first to do so.
At the end of December 2012, former diplomat Champagne revealed to AFP the reforms that he felt were necessary to put an end to "the crisis of governance" within Fifa, although he made no mention then of any intention to run for the presidency.
Blatter indicated to French television last week that he will announce whether or not he will stand for re-election before the Fifa Congress in Sao Paulo on June 10 and 11.
"I repeat what I have already said. I am not yet tired enough to retire. Everything is open. I will certainly make an announcement before this year's congress," said the 77-year-old Swiss, who has been president since 1998.
Current Uefa president Michel Platini, from France, said late last year that he would announce whether or not he was to stand for the Fifa post either during or after the World Cup in Brazil, which starts on June 12.