Floyd says McGregor fight is 'possible'

LOS ANGELES • Floyd Mayweather continues to stoke the fires of a possible return to the ring, as the retired multi-division champion dropped hints of a potential bout against Irish mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Conor McGregor.

With a recent report claiming the duo were discussing a fight, Mayweather advanced the speculation on the sidelines of the Canelo Alvarez v Amir Khan clash in Las Vegas over the weekend.

"It's possible. It's possible. There was a name that was shot at me," he told FightHype.com. "But the rumours that you have been hearing (are) the rumours I started. It may not be a rumour. Keep your fingers crossed."

The 39-year-old American retired last September after accumulating a 49-0 record during a 19-year career that produced world titles in five weight divisions and earnings in excess of US$800 million (S$1.1 billion).

However, he has hardly faded away from the scene, and last month appeared at ringside following boxer Adrien Broner's victory over Ashley Theophane.

Broner then challenged Mayweather, who laughed off that taunt.

Lately, however, he hinted at a comeback in an interview with Showtime, bringing along with it whispers of a possible rematch against Manny Pacquiao.

One more win would put Mayweather ahead of heavyweight great Rocky Marciano, who retired with a perfect 49-0 record.

McGregor, the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight champion, was dropped from his rematch against welterweight Nate Diaz at UFC 200 in July for refusing to attend a news conference to promote the event.

In response to speculation about a possible meeting with Mayweather, the Irishman tweeted a mock promotional poster of the two fighters face-to-face with the caption "MMA vs Boxing."

REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on May 10, 2016, with the headline 'Floyd says McGregor fight is 'possible''. Print Edition | Subscribe