Cricket: Australia's Warner suspended until Ashes and fined for attack on England's Root

BIRMINGHAM (AFP) - Australian cricketer David Warner has been suspended until the start of the Ashes series and fined after attacking England's Joe Root in a bar, Britain's Sky Sports News said on Thursday.

The channel said the batsman would not play for the remainder of the one-day international Champions Trophy series and was fined A$11,500 (S$13,000) after a disciplinary hearing.

The 26-year-old was dropped for Australia's match against New Zealand on Wednesday after the incident at an Australian-theme pub in the central English city of Birmingham at the weekend.

Cricket Australia said he had been reported for breaching its code of conduct relating to "unbecoming behaviour".

The BBC reported that Warner swung a punch at Root, who took a glancing blow to the chin.

Warner contacted Root on Sunday to apologise and the England batsman accepted the apology, the broadcaster said.

The England and Wales Cricket Board said in a statement that Warner "initiated an unprovoked physical attack" after England's 48-run victory at Edgbaston on Saturday.

It was his second disciplinary hearing in three weeks after he was found guilty last month of breaching the code of conduct for an expletive-laden Twitter tirade at two Australian cricket journalists.

It followed a story about corruption and fixing in the Indian Premier League which was illustrated with a picture of him.

Warner was fined A$5,750 then.