Call for ban on boxing after death in Australia

SYDNEY • The Australian Medical Association (AMA) called for a ban on boxing yesterday, following the death of a 28-year-old after he was knocked unconscious in the ring.

Davey Browne Jr died yesterday after his family authorised his life support to be turned off in a Sydney hospital. He had been injured in an International Boxing Federation super-featherweight regional title fight four days previously.

The father of two was knocked out 30 seconds from the end of the 12-round contest against Carlo Magali of the Philippines. He collapsed on his stool before he was hospitalised with brain injuries.

AMA vice-president Dr Stephen Parnis said it was time to ban boxing. "One punch can kill - whether you are outside a pub on a Friday night or in a boxing ring - and this is the thing that causes young lives to be ended so traumatically," he noted, according to Australian broadcaster ABC's website.

"The way that boxing is designed, there will be these times inevitably where someone will get bleeding or irreversible damage to the brain and they will either lose their life or end up with brain damage. That is why the AMA thinks that we cannot continue with it."

New South Wales sports minister Stuart Ayres said the Combat Sports Authority, a state government agency, will cooperate fully with police in their investigation.

"My thoughts are with David's family and friends during this tragic time," he said in a statement.

In March, Braydon Smith, a 23-year-old law student, died two days after he lost a fight in his home town in Toowoomba in Queensland.

He collapsed 90 minutes after the bout.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on September 16, 2015, with the headline 'Call for ban on boxing after death in Australia'. Print Edition | Subscribe