LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Kobe Bryant announced on Sunday that this would be his final National Basketball Association season. Here are five things you need to know about him:
- He is a five-time NBA champion (2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010) despite being only the 13th pick in the NBA draft.
- He is a one-team man: He has spent his entire 20-season career with the Lakers, the first NBA player to stay so long with the same club.
- While he is considered one of the greatest legends in basketball history, he has earned the NBA Most Valuable Player of the Year award only once - in 2008. He has however, been named the NBA Finals' MVP twice (2009, 2010).
- He was the NBA scoring champion in 2006 and 2007 and ranks third in all-time scoring with 32,670 points.
- He won two Olympic gold medals as part of Team USA.