Athletics: Gatlin says 'all is fine' with Beijing organisers despite being 'kicked out' of event

BEIJING (REUTERS) - American sprinter Justin Gatlin said his relationship with the organisers of the Beijing World Challenge meeting was "great" on Wednesday, less than 24 hours after furiously claiming he had been "kicked out" of the event.

Gatlin, who ran the fastest 100 metres in the world this year with a life-time best of 9.74 seconds in Doha last week, stormed home on the eve of the meeting on Tuesday after telling the organisers about an injury concern.

The 33-year-old's manager Renaldo Nehemiah said he was "disappointed and perplexed" at the treatment of his charge, who he said had been instructed to go home despite being the main attraction of the meeting at the Bird's Nest stadium.

Gatlin, however, later took to social media to say he was looking forward to running in the Beijing meeting next year.

"Emotional day. All is fine with Beijing Org & me," he posted on Twitter. "We have a great relationship and I look forward to being there in Aug for worlds & next year for the meet."

The organisers of the meeting gave no official explanation of the circumstances surrounding Gatlin's departure on Tuesday.