Worker who died at Kranji worksite was electrocuted: MOM

SINGAPORE - A Singaporean man who died at a Kranji worksite on Sunday (Sept 24) was reportedly electrocuted, said the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) on Monday.

The ministry said the man was disconnecting an existing electrical cable at an overground box when the incident occurred.

It added that it has instructed the contractor to stop all electrical works at the worksite, and will be inspecting the site to determine if it is safe for such works to continue.

The 59-year-old victim, believed to be Mr Asogan Suparamaniam, based on checks on the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority's database, was from Global Marine Construction and Engineering.

The company is a sub-contractor of James Contractor, which was contracted by electricity grid operator SP Group to carry out cable works at the site in Kranji Loop.

Police said the victim was already unconscious when he was taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital, where he later died.

The funeral will be held on Tuesday.

When contacted, Mr Asogan's son, who declined to reveal his name, said his late father was the director of Global Marine Construction and Engineering.

The firm has been registered since November 2007 and specialises in electrical engineering works.

Electrocution is not a common cause of workplace deaths.

In the first half of 2017, there were 19 fatal workplace accidents, according to figures from MOM and the Workplace Safety and Health Institute.

Of these 19 deaths, the top two causes were accidents involving vehicles on public roads or at work sites, and falls from a height.