Work on new intra-island cableway in Sentosa can resume: BCA

A technical supervisor was suspended in a cable car mid-air while the contractor was carrying out further installation work at Sentosa's new intra-island cableway. Work on the cableway in Sentosa has been allowed to resume following an August inciden
A technical supervisor was suspended in a cable car mid-air while the contractor was carrying out further installation work at Sentosa's new intra-island cableway. Work on the cableway in Sentosa has been allowed to resume following an August incident involving a cable car falling into a construction site. -- PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO FILE

SINGAPORE - Work on a new intra-island cableway in Sentosa has been allowed to resume following an August incident involving a cable car falling into a construction site.

The Building and Construction Authority (BCA) said on Thursday in a statement that it had lifted its directive to stop all installation work on Sept 22. The order to cease all installation works was imposed on Aug 10 after an empty cable car dislodged when a main hauling rope and temporary rope were entangled. No one was injured.

Construction on the $18.6 million cableway started in the second quarter of last year, and will take visitors between attractions at Merlion Plaza, Imbiah Lookout and Siloso Point.

BCA said that following investigations and assessments, it is "satisfied that all necessary mitigation measures have been implemented". The cableway manufacturer and their contractor have enhanced operating procedures that would prevent the recurrence of similar incidents, BCA added.