Woman and daughter, 5, hurt in Petir Road fire

The children's bedroom, which was damaged by the fire. A woman and her five-year-old daughter were treated at National University Hospital for smoke inhalation after their flat in Petir Road caught fire yesterday. -- ST PHOTO: RUDY WONG
The children's bedroom, which was damaged by the fire. A woman and her five-year-old daughter were treated at National University Hospital for smoke inhalation after their flat in Petir Road caught fire yesterday. -- ST PHOTO: RUDY WONG
The master bedroom, which was heavily damaged by the fire. A woman and her five-year-old daughter were treated at National University Hospital for smoke inhalation after their flat in Petir Road caught fire yesterday. -- ST PHOTO: RUDY WONG
The master bedroom, which was heavily damaged by the fire. A woman and her five-year-old daughter were treated at National University Hospital for smoke inhalation after their flat in Petir Road caught fire yesterday. -- ST PHOTO: RUDY WONG
A woman and her five-year-old daughter were treated at National University Hospital for smoke inhalation after their flat in Petir Road caught fire yesterday. -- ST PHOTO: RUDY WONG
A woman and her five-year-old daughter were treated at National University Hospital for smoke inhalation after their flat in Petir Road caught fire yesterday. -- ST PHOTO: RUDY WONG

A woman and her five-year-old daughter were treated at National University Hospital for smoke inhalation after their flat in Petir Road caught fire yesterday.

The woman, who is in her 40s, was also treated for a burn on her left hand.

Her husband, Mr Salleh Buang, 55, did not want to disclose his wife’s name but said he and his three sons were not at home at the time.

The fire is believed to have started in the master bedroom, which is on the upper floor of the maisonette flat in Block 138.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force was alerted to the fire at 12.46pm.

Mr Salleh had been on his way to make a delivery in Orchard Road when he got a call from his daughter.

“(It’s a good thing) the fire didn’t spread to the other parts of the house,” said the store assistant.

“But I’m worried about where we are going to sleep tonight.”