Two injured in fire at Teck Whye, block suffers power outage

SINGAPORE - A fire broke out in a 10th-floor unit at Block 3 Teck Whye Avenue on Wednesday afternoon, and a man and an eight-month-old baby were injured.

The baby, which was on the 12th floor of the block, was sent to the National University Hospital for suspected smoke inhalation, while a man in his 50s was sent to the same hospital with cuts on his left shin and left toe from falling debris. They were both conscious.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said no one was in the unit when the fire occurred. It started in the master bedroom.

They received a call at 2.42pm and sent two fire engines, two support vehicles, two ambulances and a red rhino.

The fire was extinguished within half an hour.

About 20 residents from the block evacuated the building when the fire started.

The Straits Times understands that the block suffered a power outage following the fire.

lesterh@sph.com.sg