SINGAPORE- Two workers injured in Saturday's (June 24) Tuas blaze remain in "very critical condition" in the intensive care unit at Singapore General Hospital.
The chairman of the Migrant Workers' Centre (MWC), Mr Yeo Guat Kwang said in a statement on Tuesday night (June 27) that the Chinese workers, a 27-year-old from Shandong and a 39-year-old from Jiangsu, suffered 66 per cent and 90 per cent burns to their bodies respectively.
"We understand that the SGH doctors and staff are working tirelessly to treat their most life-threatening injuries. SGH's latest update on both workers' conditions showed that they remain in very critical condition and are housed in the intensive care unit."
The fire, which involved scrap metals and plastic materials, broke out at a warehouse at 28, Tuas Avenue 10, last week. The two men were the only casualties.
Get The Straits Times
newsletters in your inbox
The Singapore Civil Defence Force was alerted to the incident at around 4.10pm and extinguished the blaze at around 5.30pm.
When the fire was reported, an MWC emergency operations team was deployed to the site to identify possible migrant worker casualties and to work with the authorities to assist affected workers.
In the statement, Mr Yeo said MWC had contacted the workers' employer to ensure they receive the necessary care and support, such as having the employer sign the hospital's letter of guarantee, as well as filing accident reports and work injury compensation claims for both workers.
MWC is also working closely with the Chinese Embassy and arrangements are being made to have the workers' next of kin travel to Singapore.
"The MWC will assist the families with any needs arising from their travel, and facilitate access to their injured relative once they arrive," said Mr Yeo.