SINGAPORE - The terminus of the future Singapore-Kuala Lumpur high-speed rail (HSR) will be located at the current Jurong Country Club site, it was announced on Monday.
The Singapore Land Authority (SLA) has gazetted the acquisition of the 67ha plot and the club will be expected to hand over the land by November 2016, the Government announced.
Here are 5 facts about the country club:
1. It is about a 10-minute walk from Jurong East MRT, according to the country club's website. It is located about 1.5km away from Jem shopping mall, according to Google Maps.
2. The club, which opened in 1975, has from its inception been a popular golfing spot, and is known for its luxurious golfing facilities. The club most recently completed an 18-hole renovation in July 2012, which cost about $24 million. The club set out on its redevelopment project to remodel the golf course in 2010. It now boasts large undulating greens that have numerous pin positions that vary from easy to difficult.
3. Jurong Country Club was the first country club in South-East Asia to introduce 18-hole night golfing in the 1990s. The course is equipped with a $3-million floodlight system with 720 lights strategically deployed throughout the entire course to provide adequate lighting at night. Night golfing is available on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
4. The club's golf course is an award-winning one. Its greens were named by Asian Golf Magazine as Asia Pacific's third-best course renovation in 2012 and its course ranked among the Top 10 Courses in Singapore in 2013.
5. The club organises charity golf events. The last one was in 2013 after a three-year hiatus when it raised $260,000 for four charities. Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong took part in the event.
Source: Jurong Country Club