Jurong Country Club members shocked at decision to have high-speed rail terminus on club's site

This picture taken from Teban Vista, shows the current Jurong Country Club's greens. Further behind it, when zooming in on the picture, is the Jurong East MRT station. The club's site will become the terminus for the future Singapore-Kuala Lumpur Hig
This picture taken from Teban Vista, shows the current Jurong Country Club's greens. Further behind it, when zooming in on the picture, is the Jurong East MRT station. The club's site will become the terminus for the future Singapore-Kuala Lumpur High-Speed Rail. -- ST PHOTO: AZIZ HUSSIN

SINGAPORE - Members of the 40-year-old Jurong Country Club expressed disappointment and shock, after hearing news that the club will make way for the upcoming high-speed rail (HSR) terminus.

Many also said it was a shame that the club's 18-hole golf course, which had only been renovated in 2010 for $24 million, will have to go so soon.

The Government announced on Monday that it has gazetted the acquisition of the Jurong Country Club site, with the club to hand over the land by November 2016.

Jccmap11052015

Club member Shelley Yeo, 61, a housewife, said she was surprised by the developments, given that the club's land lease was until 2035.

"I was actually looking forward to the new upgrades the club had planned," she said, adding that a new clubhouse lobby, golfer's terrace and refurbished changing rooms were being planned.

Retiree Bob Wong, 68, who had paid about $150,000 some 30 years ago to become a member, said he will be losing out and he hopes to receive some form of compensation.

Mr Wong added: "I come here with my family very often as we live nearby. My children use the pool while I golf."

Mr Oh Lai Hen, 58, who works in the logistics industry, said: "It's inevitable that we would be affected, but they should give us more time since our lease is due in 2035."

The Jurong Country Club, which was founded in 1975, has 2,700 members - 60 per cent of whom are golfing members, with the other 40 per cent being social members.

Of the 67 ha plot of land that the Government will acquire, close to 20 per cent will be used for the HSR terminus, which be linked to Kuala Lumpur.

The remaining 80 per cent of the land will be transformed into a mixed-use development comprising offices, hotels, retail and residences.