SINGAPORE - Cyclists will soon be able to ride from Yio Chu Kang MRT station, through Ang Mo Kio, to Bishan-Ang Mo Kio park - thanks to a new 2.6km sheltered cycling and walking corridor that the government is proposing to build.
This corridor is one of several plans announced on Tuesday by the Urban Redevelopment Authority and Land Transport Authority to make Ang Mo Kio GRC a model cycling town.
The other plans include building a network of cycling and walking paths in the estate, making bus stops and road crossings safer for cyclists and pedestrians and narrowing certain roads to slow down vehicular traffic.
The public can view the proposed plans at www.walkandcycle.sg from Wednesday and give their feedback online.
"The purpose of this pilot is to build a good cycling and walking system to encourage residents to take up greener modes of active mobility," said URA CEO Ng Lang.
"We hope to hear from the residents on how they feel about the draft plans, and what we can do to encourage cycling and walking in the town."
Preliminary walking and cycling plans for Ang Mo Kio
1. Dedicated walking and cylcing paths
2. Safer bus stops
3. Safer road crossings
4. Traffic calming by narrowing roads
5. Code of conduct to be developed
6. Adequate bicycle parking to be provided
7. Proposed seamless corridor for walking or cycling along MRT viaduct
- Improve the use of land under viaduct
- Provide better access to Ang Mo Kio station
- Have an elevated path at Ang Mo Kio station
- Weather-protected walking and cycling track underneath the MRT viaduct
- Possible elevated flyover over minor road