Three critically injured after Pulau Bukom fire

Three people suffered critical burn injuries after a fire broke out at oil giant Shell's manufacturing site on Pulau Bukom yesterday.

In all, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) sent six workers with burn injuries to the Singapore General Hospital.

Besides those critically injured, one is in a stable condition, and two others were discharged after receiving outpatient treatment, said a hospital spokesman.

It is believed that the victims suffered burns on the neck and face.

A Shell spokesman said the fire broke out in the evening, and was put out by its first responders within an hour. The six injured are workers from a contractor.

The SCDF said it received a call for help at about 6.15pm yesterday.

Upon its arrival, the fire had already been extinguished by Shell's emergency response team.

The Shell spokesman said: "We are following the progress and treatment of the other workers closely, and are working with our contractors to ensure all possible support and assistance are rendered to the injured workers and their families.

"All other personnel are accounted for at the site."

She added that the incident has "no other impact on the site's operations", and it is working with the SCDF to investigate the incident.

Pulau Bukom houses the $4.1 billion Shell Eastern Petrochemicals Complex, which opened in May 2010. It is Shell's largest petrochemical investment.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on August 22, 2015, with the headline 'Three critically injured after Pulau Bukom fire'. Print Edition | Subscribe