A Singaporean man was being treated for 95 per cent burns yesterday after setting himself on fire when he was refused petrol at a kiosk in Johor Baru.
The 42-year-old had walked to the petrol station at Century Garden at around 9.30am but staff refused to sell him fuel as they are not allowed to serve people who are not driving a vehicle.
Chinese evening daily Lianhe Wanbao reported that the man then threatened the petrol station's owner, saying that he would set himself on fire if he was not allowed to buy petrol.
The owner relented and sold him 4 litres before the man stepped out of the kiosk, poured it over himself, then sparked himself with a lighter.
He lost his footing and fell into a drain before passers-by doused him with a fire extinguisher.
He was taken to Sultanah Aminah Hospital in Johor Baru, where he was unconscious as of last night.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed the incident and added that Singapore's Consulate-General in Johor Baru is rendering necessary assistance to the man.