Singapore steps up checks, patrols at key locations and checkpoints after Manchester and Jakarta attacks

Security personnel patrolling at Marina Bay Sands Expo and Convention Centre on May 22, 2017.
Security personnel patrolling at Marina Bay Sands Expo and Convention Centre on May 22, 2017.ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI

SINGAPORE - Singapore has stepped up checks and patrols at key locations after the deadly bombings that struck Manchester and Jakarta earlier this week, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said in a statement to the media on Thursday (May 25).

The explosions in East Jakarta, Indonesia on Wednesday (May 24) night killed three police officers and injured 10 people.

It happened just days after Monday's suicide bombing in the northern English city of Manchester which left 22 dead and 59 injured, making it the deadliest militant assault in Britain since 2005.

The MHA spokesman said: "Following the attacks in Manchester and Jakarta, our agencies have stepped up checks and patrols at key locations, the air, land and sea checkpoints, transport nodes and in our waters.

Get The Straits Times
newsletters in your inbox

"We will continue to monitor the developments closely and calibrate security measures according to the threat environment."

"All of us have an important role to play in keeping Singapore safe," the spokesman added.

Members of the public who notice any suspicious item or person should call the police at 999 or the ISD Counter-Terrorism Centre at 1800-2626-473 immediately.

The public can also make a report via the SGSecure mobile application.