Singapore condemns Ankara bombing; so far no reports of Singaporeans affected

Forensic services and firemen work around burnt taxi vehicles after a blast in Ankara on March 13, 2016.
Forensic services and firemen work around burnt taxi vehicles after a blast in Ankara on March 13, 2016. PHOTO: AFP

SINGAPORE - Singapore has strongly condemned the car bomb attack in central Ankara which killed at least 34 people and wounded 125 others.

Its Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) also said on Monday (March 14) that there has been no report of Singaporeans affected by the attack.

"We extend our condolences to the bereaved families and wish those injured a speedy recovery,'' the ministry said in a statement.

 

"Our Embassy in Ankara has contacted all registered Singaporeans in Ankara and ascertained their safety. Thus far, there are no reports of Singaporeans affected by the incident,'' it added.

MFA said Singaporeans who require consular assistance are advised to contact the embassy or the 24-hour MFA Duty Office at:

Embassy of the Republic of Singapore in Ankara

Tel: + 90 530 066 7311

E-mail: singemb_ank@mfa.sg

MFA Duty Office

Tel: +65 6379 8800 / 8855 (24-hour hotline)

E-mail: mfa_duty_officer@mfa.gov.sg

The explosion in central Ankara at 6.45pm on Sunday local time struck a bus stop near Kizilay square, a bustling commercial area and local transport hub, reducing buses to charred husks and damaging nearby shops, Agence France-Presse reported.

Officials said the blast was caused by a vehicle packed with explosives, which the interior minister said was driven by one or two attackers who had deliberately targeted the bus stop.