Roy Ngerng agrees to remove blog posts, asks to extend damages deadline

Blogger Roy Ngerng has agreed to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's demand to remove four blog posts and a Youtube video by 5pm on Monday.

He however requested that the Monday 5pm deadline to write in with an offer of damages and costs be extended to Wednesday 5pm instead.

Mr Lee, on the basis that Mr Ngerng agreed in his lawyer's letter to take the posts and video down and to not put up similar ones, has allowed the extension.

On Monday morning, PM Lee's lawyer Senior Counsel Davinder Singh had asked Mr Ngerng to take down four posts or face aggravated damages.

Two of those posts were published after Mr Ngerng took down a May 15 post that alleged CPF savings had been misappropriated, and two published in 2012 and 2013.

He said the tone and content of Mr Ngerng's posts and video showed that his apology was insincere.

Mr Singh also said that the apology Mr Ngerng had published on his blog last Friday "was not and never meant to be genuine" and that it had always been Mr Ngerng's intention to use Mr Lee's "lawful and legitimate demand to opportunistically raise his public profile, garner support and sympathy and renew his attack" against Mr Lee.

Comments