Police have arrested a 41-year-old man who is believed to be involved in several break-ins in the Commonwealth Drive area, the police said in a statement.
On Jan 12 morning, police officers from the Clementi Police Division were on patrol in the Commonwealth Drive area when they were alerted to a person acting suspiciously in the vicinity. A search was carried out and at 10.30am the officers' spotted the man, whose description matched what the police had been given by a member of public.
They detained the suspect when he was seen putting his hand through the corridor window of one of the units. Two mobile phones, a phone charger, three bank cards and one EZ-link card were recovered from him.
Commander of Clementi Police Division, Deputy Assistant Commissioner of Police Melvin Yong said the arrest was a good example of the strong partnership between the community and the police in fighting crime.
In its statement, police also advised all home occupants to adopt the following measures:
Ensure that doors, windows and other openings are properly secured with strong grilles and good quality close-shackled locks. Change the lock promptly if the key is lost or stolen;
Secure all doors and window grills before retiring to bed or when leaving their home unattended, even for a short while;
Prevent leaving large sums of cash in their premises. Jewellery and valuable items should be kept in a bank or a good quality safe;
Avoid leaving valuables such as wallets, bags, cash, mobile phones, and laptops near the window along the common corridor;
If going away for a prolonged period, suspend the newspaper subscription and arrange for someone to clear mail and check on their home regularly.