Parliament: Singapore has not received Malaysia's official reply on reclamation, says Grace Fu

SINGAPORE - Singapore has not yet received Malaysia's official response and environmental impact assessment (EIA) reports on the two land reclamation projects in the Straits of Johor, said Second Minister for Foreign Affairs Grace Fu on Monday.

"Singapore has yet to receive the Malaysian government's official response on this issue, including the finalised EIA reports. We are seeking clarifications from Malaysia and have reiterated our request for Malaysia to provide the finalised EIA reports, and all relevant information, expeditiously, prior to the commencement of such works," she said in Parliament.

This, despite media reports last week from both sides of the Causeway - which Ms Fu acknowledged - that Malaysia had recently given the two projects the green light to restart work.

Work on the two projects - Forest City near Tuas and Princess Cove near the Causeway - had been suspended in 2014 following Singaporean concerns.

Singapore had requested that the works be suspended until it received and studied all the relevant information from Malaysia, including Environmental Impact Assessments to assess if there would be any transboundary impact.

Said Ms Fu, who is also Minister in the Prime Minister's Office: "We have not received the report, and we are working with our Malaysian counterparts to obtain the report as soon as we can, and we will study the report seriously."

She was responding to Mr Ang Wei Neng (Jurong GRC), who had asked for an update on the results of the EIA carried out by Malaysia.