Parliament: $43.2m committed for WorkPro grants so far

SINGAPORE - Just over a quarter of the WorkPro budget has been committed as of end-2014, more than halfway through its three-year time frame.

Updates on the scheme were given by Senior Minister of State for Manpower Amy Khor in Parliament on Thursday. The scheme was launched in April 2013 with a $170 million kitty to fund companies that help groups such as older workers and mothers get back to work.

As of December last year, over 1,500 companies have tapped on WorkPro, said Dr Khor. Each will receive an average of around $29,000. But just $7 million has been disbursed so far.

"Many companies are still in the midst of implementing their projects", said Dr Khor.

A total of $28 million, which makes up the bulk of the $43.2 million committed to companies so far, has been put into the Age Management Grant to support programmes such as re-employment and making jobs more suitable for older workers.

Another $13.2 million has been committed for flexible work arrangements, and around $2 million for job and process redesign projects.

Dr Khor added that small and medium enterprises make up 88 per cent of employers using WorkPro.

"We will continue to work closely with our partners to raise awareness and sustain interest in WorkPro amongst companies, including SMEs," she said.