PICTURES

Narrow escape from fire for four residents of Ang Mo Kio flat

Mr Gan Hwee Sun, 72, is one of the four residents of an Ang Mo Kio flat who narrowly escaped a fire that broke out in their second floor unit on Friday morning. -- ST PHOTO: JALELAH ABU BAKER
Mr Gan Hwee Sun, 72, is one of the four residents of an Ang Mo Kio flat who narrowly escaped a fire that broke out in their second floor unit on Friday morning. -- ST PHOTO: JALELAH ABU BAKER
Four residents of an Ang Mo Kio flat narrowly escaped a fire that broke out in their second floor unit on Friday morning. -- PHOTO: SCDF
Four residents of an Ang Mo Kio flat narrowly escaped a fire that broke out in their second floor unit on Friday morning. -- PHOTO: SCDF

Four residents of an Ang Mo Kio flat narrowly escaped a fire that broke out in their second floor unit on Friday morning.

Two jumped down to the ground floor from their kitchen window, while their two other flatmates. including saxophonist Gan Hwee Sun, 72, hung on to the window ledge until they were helped to the ground by cleaners.

A Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) spokesman told The Straits Times that the two Bangladeshi cleaners rushed to the scene when they saw the fire and used a ladder to assist the two elderly residents.

SCDF rescuers, who were activated at about 8.07am, arrived shortly after to put out the fire. Four residents, including resident from a third floor unit who suffered from smoke inhalation, were conveyed to hospital. Mr Gan, was the only one who was not injured.