Mandarin Orchard fire: 350 evacuated, 1 guest taken to hospital

The facade of Mandarin Orchard.
The facade of Mandarin Orchard.PHOTO: FACEBOOK/ MANDARIN ORCHARD SINGAPORE

Nearly 350 hotel guests were forced to evacuate the Mandarin Orchard Singapore hotel late on Tuesday night, after a fire in a sixth-floor kitchen.

The incident, which saw a 69-year-old guest taken to hospital for treatment for injuries to his head and left arm, came just hours after another fire along the Orchard Road shopping belt.

No one was injured in the earlier fire, which occurred at Tang Plaza where the Singapore Marriott hotel is located.

The fire outside the third-storey roof of the building broke out at 9.10am. It was reported that nearly 100 people were evacuated before the authorities arrived.

At 11.40pm, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) was alerted to the fire at Mandarin Orchard.

Two fire engines, two Red Rhinos, four support vehicles and two ambulances were sent to the scene, and the fire was put out after 30 minutes. Four guests were treated by paramedics at the scene and declined to be taken to hospital.

Mandarin Orchard said in a statement that, by 1.20am, "the premises were deemed safe by relevant authorities. Guests were then systematically escorted back to their respective floors".

Pictures of the evacuation posted on social media showed a large number of guests being herded into an open space at nearby *Scape.

One guest, Ms Viana Ang, tweeted in Tagalog: "I had just taken a shower when the fire broke out, so I decided to save my phone and wallet. I had to climb down 27 floors."

In a tweet later at 1.31am, she said she was back in her room and had initially thought the incident was a fire drill.

The cause of the fire is being investigated.

In October last year, 250 people were evacuated from Far East Plaza after a fire broke out on the second floor.

The SCDF said there were 16 fires along the Orchard Road shopping belt last year, and 19 in 2014.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on March 17, 2016, with the headline 'Mandarin Orchard fire: 350 evacuated, 1 guest taken to hospital'. Print Edition | Subscribe