The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will carry out a detailed evaluation and determine the value of outstanding works left by an insolvent contractor before it can appoint a new firm to complete a stalled section - stage 2 - of the Downtown Line.
On Wednesday, an LTA spokesman said: "LTA will seek all means possible, while still ensuring its robustness, to expedite the process and mitigate the impact to the Downtown Line Stage 2 completion timeline."
Austrian builder Alpine Bau was working on the Downtown Line Stage 2's King Albert Park, Sixth Avenue and Tan Kah Kee stations, but filed for insolvency last month.
On Tuesday, Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew said he expects a delay in the line, which runs from Bukit Panjang to Bugis and was projected to be ready in 2015. He also said a caretaker contractor will be appointed to ensure safety on that stalled stretch, and that the full extent of the delay will only be known after the LTA completes its assessment in a few weeks.