Internet access restored for Singtel, StarHub, M1 and MyRepublic customers hit by Netlink Trust's cable damage

SINGAPORE - The Internet outage that affected households and offices around Bukit Merah, Outram, Tanjong Pagar and Tiong Bahru on Thursday (June 11) was resolved at 12.40am on Friday (June 12).

The Land Transport Authority apologised for the disruption in a statement on Thursday, and said its Thomson-East Coast Line contractor had damaged a section of NetLink Trust's fiber optic cables while carrying out piling works at the upcoming Great World station site.

Chief Executive Officer of NetLink Trust, Mr Ng Yong Hwee, thanked the affected users for their understanding and patience, and said that the company had deployed all available resources to ensure prompt and speedy restoration works.

Users in the affected area can contact their Internet Service Providers (ISP), should there be further enquiries.

On Thursday, NetLink Trust said it detected a network outage affecting the vicinity around Bukit Merah, Outram, Tanjong Pagar and Tiong Bahru, which occurred at about 10.40am.

All four ISPs took to Facebook to announce the disruption and update its customers.

In a Facebook post at 6.15pm on Thursday, Singtel said: "NetLink Trust estimates that services will be restored by midnight."

Earlier in the day, Singtel said some of its customers in Bukit Merah and the surrounding areas may be experiencing difficulties accessing fibre broadband, TV and phone services.

Similarly, M1 added that some of its customers "in the Bukit Merah and nearby areas may experience difficulties in accessing fibre broadband and fixed voice services".

StarHub made a similar statement but did not specify which location is said to be experiencing problems.

MyRepublic said it was informed by Nucleus Connect that the Orchard network exchange (which serves network connections to areas in Orchard, Bukit Merah and Bukit Panjang) was currently facing technical issues.