Ikea has issued a recall of a faulty cup following reports that people in Europe had been burned after it broke when hot liquid was poured in.
None of the incidents happened in Singapore, the Swedish furniture giant said in a press statement yesterday.
Called the Lyda jumbo cup, the product is made of stoneware and has a white base with a flower print. The affected cups, which cost $7.90 each, were on sale between last August and April this year. About 1,442 of them were sold.
The company said it has received 20 overseas reports of the cup breaking, including 10 which involved scalding injuries requiring medical treatment.
It told The Straits Times that it pulled the cup from the shelves for investigation on April 26 after receiving the second report of it breaking. The root cause of the problem has not been found.
No other Ikea cups are affected by the recall.
The store is cautioning people to stop using the product immediately and offering a full refund upon return.
Customers can hand in the cups at the exchange and returns counters at either Ikea Tampines or Ikea Alexandra, or call 6786-6868 for more information.
In February, Ikea pulled its famous meatballs from the menu in Singapore. The move was a precautionary measure after horse meat was detected in its frozen meatballs in the Czech Republic.
DNA tests later found no traces of horse in those sold in Singapore. Sales of the dish resumed less than two weeks later.