• 10g cordyceps, washed
• 10g dried longans
• 4 to 6 sticks of codonopsis root, soaked in hot water for 15 to 20 minutes
• 4 to 6 pcs red dates
• 1 sakura chicken
• 1 slice ginger
• 500ml hot water
• Salt, as desired
• Remove the chicken skin, then wash and blanch chicken in hot water. Rinse and wash the chicken again before setting it aside.
• Rinse codonopsis root with hot water.
• Brew all ingredients under medium heat for between 2 and 2½ hours.
• When soup is ready, season with salt before serving.
This dish addresses spleen and kidney qi deficiency, as well as blood deficiency. Cordyceps strengthens the kidney and lungs, codonopsis root strengthens the spleen, while longans and red dates improve blood quality. This soup also aids in building up a person's strength and immunity.
Source: Ms Gee Swee Sien, traditional Chinese medicine practitioner at Thomson Chinese Medicine (I12 Katong)