450g carrots, unpeeled, cut into pieces
5 to 6 cups of vegetable or chicken stock, homemade or store-bought
1 tsp grated ginger
Dill oil, made with a bunch of dill weeds and stems, processed in a food chopper with oil and a pinch of salt
Furikake, a Japanese rice topping sold in packets at Japanese supermarkets (choose one with nori seaweed and bonito flakes)
- Put carrot pieces into a saucepan and add stock. I used vegetable stock, but you could opt for packaged organic chicken stock.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer till carrots are soft and can be pierced easily with a fork. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Add grated ginger and blitz the soup, using a hand-held stab blender till smooth.
- Chill in the fridge till needed.
- Before serving, dish out soup in bowls.
- Add a few dollops of dill oil and top with furikake, which is salty, so go easy on it.
SERVES FOUR TO SIX