Foreign Affairs Ministry confirms Singaporean evacuated from Yemen to Oman

Smoke billowing from a storage building belonging to the education ministry's printing press corporation after it was hit by a Saudi-led air strike in Yemen's north-western city of Saada on June 2, 2015. -- PHOTO: REUTERS
Smoke billowing from a storage building belonging to the education ministry's printing press corporation after it was hit by a Saudi-led air strike in Yemen's north-western city of Saada on June 2, 2015. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

SINGAPORE - The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) confirmed that a Singaporean was evacuated from war-torn Yemen to the Omani capital of Muscat on Monday, adding that the man is in good health.

"Our Consulate-General in Muscat worked closely with the Omani authorities to locate and facilitate the evacuation of a Singaporean man in Yemen after we were informed of his whereabouts. We would like to thank the Omani Government... for helping us to evacuate him safely to Muscat," MFA said in a statement on Tuesday.

"Our Consulate-General is in touch with the Singaporean and has been rendering the necessary consular assistance. We can also confirm that he is in good health."

Oman's official news agency ONA reported on Tuesday that the Singaporean and an American man were brought from Sanaa in Yemen to Oman. It said Oman's Sultan Qaboos had issued "orders to help the American and Singaporean governments regarding their two citizens who had gone missing in Yemen". The American man was identified as freelance journalist Casey Coombs.

MFA said there are still more than 30 registered Singaporeans in Yemen and it urged them to leave as soon as possible.

"There are still more than 30 registered Singaporeans in Yemen. Last week, our Consulate-General in Muscat assisted 11 Singaporeans to leave the country safely.

"MFA continues to keep in close touch with the remaining Singaporeans in Yemen. We hope that they will heed our advice and leave as soon as possible.''

A number of countries have issued travel advisories on Yemen since September last year when Iranian-backed Houthi militia took control of the capital Sanaa.

Evacuation efforts intensified in March when a Saudi Arabia-led coalition began air strikes against the Houthis to try to restore exiled president Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, currently in exile in Saudi Arabia.