SINGAPORE - A fire broke out at a HDB block in Jalan Damai on Monday evening, leaving residents stranded at the void deck but nobody seriously hurt.
The fire is believed to have originated from contents in the bedroom of an executive flat on the 11th floor of Block 662, which is off Kaki Bukit Avenue 1 near Bedok Reservoir Road.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said they received a call at about 7.45pm and that the fire was extinguished with two water jets.
A man and a woman, both in their 70s, complained of breathing difficulties, but they decided not to go to the hospital after paramedics on site who assessed them found that they were in stable condition.
The SCDF dispatched one fire engine, two red rhinos, two ambulances and three support vehicles to the scene.
At least 40 residents were gathered at the void deck when The Straits Times reached the site at 8.45pm.
Madam Koh Ya Li, 73, who lives on the fifth floor, said she was watching a Korean show on the television when she smelled smoke.
"I saw residents from the block beside staring out their windows and I knew something was wrong," she said.
She said she quickly shouted to her husband, grabbed her bag and rushed out.
Another resident Sarah Razali, 17, who lives on the 2nd floor was alerted to the fire by ambulance sirens.
"The fire looked very big, blazing through the window," said the junior college student.
Secondary school student Basil Ong, 13, said he was quite frightened, being just two floors away from the fire.
"It looked so close," he said cradling his eight-year-old Maltese.
Residents have since been allowed back into their homes.