Fire at Good Good's Eating House coffeeshop on 5 Guillemard Road

An air vent/chimney outside Good Good's eating House that was damaged from the fire as well. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
An air vent/chimney outside Good Good's eating House that was damaged from the fire as well. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
A woman looking at the damage in the coffeeshop that caught fire on Jan 18, 2015. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
A woman looking at the damage in the coffeeshop that caught fire on Jan 18, 2015. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
The stall in Good Good's Eating House, where the fire was believed to have started. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
The stall in Good Good's Eating House, where the fire was believed to have started. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
A man walking in Good Good's Eating house after the fire was put out, on Jan 18, 2015. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
A man walking in Good Good's Eating house after the fire was put out, on Jan 18, 2015. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
The stall in Good Good's Eating House, where the fire was believed to have started. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
The stall in Good Good's Eating House, where the fire was believed to have started. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA

SINGAPORE - A fire broke out at a coffeeshop on 5 Guillemard Road earlier this evening.

No injuries were reported and flames were doused by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) by about 5.20pm.

Tenants at Good Good's Eating House, said that a cook from the stall selling Indonesian Ayam Penyet could have left the gas on.

"We were scared so we ran out. This is the first time something like that has ever happened," said Ms Hamidah Ahmad, 52, who sells Malay food in the neighbouring unit.

SCDF said that the fire was extinguished by two water jets within 15 minutes of their arrival at about 5pm. They added that occupants had evacuated on their own.

Mr Zul Hamrin, 54, who sells Malay food at the next building, said they called the SCDF after an attempt to put out the fire with an extinguisher failed. "We thought we had put out most of the fire but it suddenly became bigger... It was very hot," he said.

He estimates that there were about 20 to 30 patrons eating there at the time.

The aftermath of the fire was blackened walls and broken glass on the floor.

The Indonesian Ayam Penyet cook, a Chinese man in his 50s, hung around the site till police lines came down later that evening. The distressed man declined to be named and said he could not afford to go back yet. He was later seen assessing the damage in the burnt unit and helping to rearrange tables and chairs.

Mr Zul said he is thankful no one got injured. "Thankfully the church had finished its Sunday services earlier in the day," he said, referring to New Horizon Sanctuary, which is located on the second floor of the building.

Geylang Lorong 8 which had been closed off by the police at about 5.30pm, reopened an hour later.