Explosion at MacPherson Road restaurant leaves manager with bad burns

A gas leak reportedly caused an explosion in a restaurant's kitchen on Sunday morning, leaving its manager badly burnt and in hospital. -- PHOTO: WANBAO
A gas leak reportedly caused an explosion in a restaurant's kitchen on Sunday morning, leaving its manager badly burnt and in hospital. -- PHOTO: WANBAO

A gas leak reportedly caused an explosion in a restaurant's kitchen on Sunday morning, leaving its manager badly burnt and in hospital.

The boss of Himalaya Kitchen on MacPherson Road in the central part of Singapore bore the brunt of the blast while a worker who had been standing behind him was largely sheltered. Evening daily Lianhe Wanbao reported that the two men and two other workers had been preparing orders when the blast occurred just before opening time at 10.30am.

Emergency vehicles arrived within eight minutes and took the injured man to Singapore General Hospital. He is believed to have sustained burns to his face, arms and legs. The Singapore Civil Defence Force said investigations are ongoing.