SINGAPORE - A 72-year-old woman has become the latest victim of dengue here.
The Ministry of Health (MOH) and the National Environment Agency (NEA) said the patient, who stayed at Simei Street 1, was admitted to Changi General Hospital on June 22.
Her condition deteriorated and she passed away on June 25.
She is the sixth person to die of the virus this year. There were four dengue fatalities in the whole of last year.
The last death was that of a 79-year-old man who lived near the Eunos area in Jalan Tenaga.
The woman's residence at Simei Street 1 was an active two-case dengue cluster, which was detected on June 25. NEA inspected the premises and destroyed one mosquito breeding in a bamboo pole holder at Blk 135. The cluster is no longer active.
The public is urged to stay vigilant and continue to work as a community to prevent dengue cases from rising, especially since this is the traditional peak dengue season, said the statement by MOH and NEA on Saturday (July 16).
"We are anticipating an upward trend in the number of dengue cases in the coming months," the statement added.